Thanks and props to everyone who responded to INTERN's call for Fresh and Delightful Springtime Guest Bloggers. The variety and quality of entries blew INTERN's mind. What follows is the first Guest Post of the season, written by A Faithful Reader
Last week Techie Boyfriend and INTERN went with random, second friends once removed, acquaintances of hippy roommate to watch the CARDBOARD BOAT REGATTA. Frivolity was had, copious beer consumption was observed, and boats were launched or sunk, (mostly sunk) and it occurred to INTERN that cardboard boat builders (CBBs) are just like writers.
1. Quite a few, perhaps even a preponderance of CBBs, make their first attempt without even rudimentary background investigation of the art and science of Cardboard Boat Building… See Miss Snark if you aren’t making the connection…
2. Most people just want to build the boat and don’t really mind if it sinks, are expecting it to sink, would even be thoroughly shocked if it did not sink. Mostly they are right, but they really seem to enjoy it so who is INTERN to burst their bubble…
3. Some people are determined, nay even obsessed with making a boat that will float. They don’t seem very happy, even when it does.
4. Every so often there is a boat of such breathtaking beauty or just plain madness that “INTERN” was possessed of an almost irresistible desire to join the CBBs of America. It was the second most enchanting and wonderful thing INTERN has experienced in a long time.
5. Even if you aren’t a CBB you can look the part. Ideally with one of those Viking helmets with the horns stuck to the sides.
INTERN plans to wear her Viking helmet to V. McP on Monday.
Note from "the real" INTERN: Egad! With impersonators this clever, INTERN expects this blog to be 100% ghostwritten by 2011.
Coming Next Wednesday: Scientific proof that some character names are hotter than others, from Fresh and Delightful Guest Poster Livia Blackburne.