Monday, October 8, 2012

WILD AWAKE cover reveal & mystical revelations





Greetings! It is I, Lao Tzu, ancient poet born from a shooting star, here to analyze the mystical significance of this Cover Reveal. Hilary tells me most modern people no longer bother to consult a sage about the details of their book launches; this is a very big mistake! Most supremely unwise! Most contrary to the Way! Without the wisdom of sages, how will you know the true meaning of anything? Lucky for Hilary, I came back from outer space just in time to drop some wisdom on WILD AWAKE. See for yourself...

Cover:



Mystical Significance of Cover:

Aaaah. I see that she is becoming one with the Suchness, as represented by the transparency of her body against the cityscape. But is she achieving mystical union…or losing herself?

Furthermore, I note the prominence of the color orange—a revealing color indeed. Is it sunset or sunrise? The beginning or the end? Or have such distinctions fallen away in the divine chaos of ultimate transcendence? What is truth? Who can say? LAO TZU GETTING AGITATED! AAEUGHEUGHEUEUE!!!!

On-Sale Date: May 28, 2013 (both print and e-book)

Mystical Significance of On-Sale Date:

A very auspicious date indeed! Venus in seventh house! Mars ascending! Feast day of St. Accidia! Avoid peas; eat guavas; DO NOT TOUCH METAL OBJECTS; carry objects made of wool or paper; good day for business transactions; BAD DAY FOR RIDING CAMELS; good day for bicycles; BAD DAY FOR PLANTING LETTUCE; drink warm liquids; AVOID BATS; sleep with twelve paperclips under your pillow. 

ISBN: 9780062184689

Mystical Significance of ISBN:

9+7+8+0+0+6+2+1+8+4+6+8+9 = number of coins you should bury in garden on pub date for maximum luck

9-7+8-0+0-6+2-1+8-4+6-8+9 = number of eggs your goose will lay on pub date (DO NOT EAT THEM)

9/7+8-0x0/6+2-1x8/4+6-8x9 = number whose mystical significance is so profound it will only be revealed after seven years of study with a qualified master

Blurb:

Things you earnestly believe will happen while your parents are away:

1.       You will remember to water the azaleas.
2.       You will take detailed, accurate messages.
3.       You will call your older brother, Denny, if even the slightest thing goes wrong.
4.       You and your best friend/bandmate Lukas will win Battle of the Bands.
5.       Amid the thrill of victory, Lukas will finally realize you are the girl of his dreams.

Things that actually happen:

1.       A stranger calls who says he knew your sister.
2.       He says he has her stuff.
3.       What stuff? Her stuff.
4.       You tell him your parents won’t be able to—
5.       Sukey died five years ago; can’t he—
6.       You pick up a pen.
7.       You scribble down the address.
8.       You get on your bike and go.
9.       Things . . . get a little crazy after that.*
*also, you fall in love, but not with Lukas.

Both exhilarating and wrenching, Hilary T. Smith’s debut novel captures the messy glory of being alive, as seventeen-year-old Kiri Byrd discovers love, loss, chaos, and murder woven into a summer of music, madness, piercing heartbreak, and intoxicating joy.

Mystical Significance of Blurb:

Blurb goes on jacket flap; wise man looks within.

**

Hilary has asked me to remind you that she will be selecting three auspicious commenters to win a query critique and ten auspicious commenters to receive a handwritten, personal, very special letter in the mail. If you would like a chance to win, just leave a comment (sensical or nonsensical) on this post before Tuesday at 3 PM Pacific.

If you would like me, Lao Tzu, to mystically analyze your pub date and ISBN, write them in a comment and I will most graciously do so.

65 comments:

  1. With all that orange, it's going to look great sitting next to Welcome to the Jungle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's exactly what I thought when I saw it...:)

      Delete
  2. Oh my. I LOVE THE COVER. Harper always designs the best covers. So much orange (can you tell I like orange?). Can't wait to get my hands on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Internet says orange is the color of CREATIVE ENERGY.

      HIGHLY SIGNIFICANT, NO?

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous cover! The blurb had me bouncing in my seat. And sort of shrieking-singing-smiling-like-a-maniac. My bird is staring at me like she is scared for my mental health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my bird does that ALL THE TIME.

      thank you, auspicious commenter!

      Delete
  4. Love the cover! I'm really looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly Lao Tzu approves of the cover, since he has a matching orange robe on.

    I love it myself. That sploosh of purple with your name on it is great. The whole thing is fabulously energising to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Internet says orange is color of creative energy and second chakra! (the designers at Harper are naturally on top of such things as well...)

      PS I noticed you tweeted a Happy Thanksgiving to Canadians...so thoughtful!

      Delete
    2. I've heard Canadian Thanksgiving is the best thanksgiving - from my Canadian friends, at any rate. One day I hope I'll have a chance to test the hypothesis.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Bright, intriguing cover + Exciting,catchy blurb = Smash success! Can't wait to check this one out....well done:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I really wanted a bright cover...and Harper certainly delivered with the orange cityscape :)

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous cover! Also, that blurb rocks. And an appearance from a mystical sage is just what I needed to liven up my Monday morning. Nothing like a little sage advice to start a week off right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lao Tzu thanks you most humbly, oh auspicious commenter!

      Delete
  8. That's a beautiful cover (a splash of purple!), and the blurb makes me want to read it now! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cover and the sage advice of Lao Tzu. Can he tell me what I should eat for breakfast, or how I can make my hair look like the girl's hair on the cover on purpose, rather than on accident (upon waking up most days)? I can't wait for it to come out! (Also, I feel as if I know someone famous now...amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cover design. Someone has done your prose proud!

    (If you write me a letter, can I write back?)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES you can write back! although I will have to figure something out with Moroccan poste restante to pick it up...

      Delete
  11. Aw, Hilary. It's beautiful, and exciting. I got a bit tingly reading the blurb. Also smiling at the wee bit of similarity between girl on your book cover and picture of you on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I hadn't made that connection, but now that you mention it, they do sort of echo each other.

      PS can't stop thinking about your work-in-progress (you know which one I mean). literally dying to read.

      Delete
  12. So, yeah. I want to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Completely obsessed with the cover. Particularly the fonts and the colors and the blurb, which must have you out of your mind excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want this book immediately. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cover. Consider me on the wait list for (a signed copy of) this book. But please don't make me wait until then to find out something (since I was INCREDIBLY FORTUNATE enough to preview an early version of this story)- is Sukey her sister now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! (there have been MANY big changes, and I am so excited to share them with you, oh early reader!)

      Delete
  16. This looks like a very intriguing book. Can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a good cover, eye-catching and intriguing. The typo in the blurb is unfortunate, but I imagine it'll get fixed. The handwriting style and paint splotch suggest that the book will be loose and chaotic, which is a good thing. Oh, and I was kidding about the typo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you seriously almost gave me a heart attack with the typo comment...WHEW. (now to scan manuscript furiously one last time....)

      Delete
  18. That's a great cover--I love orange anyway but I think it's really eye-catching on a shelf. Also? Love the blurb. The book? WANT.

    @Brooks Monday...not nice. Funny! But not nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, Lao Tzu, but my magic 8 ball would be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous cover! :) I marked this to read on my goodreads right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cover is seriously awesome!!! LOVE the covers!!! Also, great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful cover, but it's the blurb that's really sold me! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cool cover. Sorta reminds me of a poster for Footloose -- will there be dancing?!?

    ReplyDelete
  24. That cover screams "intoxicating joy!" Many congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading this one in a big, orange way.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic cover! It looks fresh, edgy, and urban. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. As a reader who does judge a book by it's cover- I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I covet your cover. Analyse that, Lao.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing cover and I can't wait to analyze the book for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is a fab cover, and the blurb sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Glad to see Lao came out of retirement for you! Cover looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Coolness! Love the Colours especially. Although I must admit it took me a little while of staring to figure out her arms.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a GORGEOUS cover, Hilary! As a fellow last name "S" girl, I look forward to one day sharing a shelf with you. If I ever finish this damn novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's freaking awesome! I can't wait to buy my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like these odds. Congratulations! It's a superb cover.

    ReplyDelete
  35. ahh, it looks awesome. can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  36. If you do a book tour, will you come to Miami? We have great weather in the spring and I'd like to get your book signed.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Brilliant cover! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

    (I'm not up to querying, so please don't put me in that drawing. Unless I can gift it to a friend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. That is an AWESOME kickass mystical cover, Hilary!! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to take a picture of it once it reaches the shelves at Women and Children First bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love the cover, totally excited to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  40. You can't go wrong with orange and purple, little grasshopper. May you find your fortune by selling many copies.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Can't wait to read it! And Gayle Forman. Yowza.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This looks great, Hilary - congrats! And I second the Gayle Forman comment. You don't fool around when you get people to blurb your book!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Am I in time? TELL ME I AM, LAO TZU!

    ReplyDelete
  44. "That cover will conquer the publishing world!"

    --- Sun Tzu

    ReplyDelete
  45. Not 17, even remotely. Not female, leaving approximately 3 options, two of which would require considerable explanation to my aged mother. Still and all I will purchase and read this book, though I may not understand even the slightest bit of those parts aimed at the target 17ish (at what age is YA targeted anyway) year old female because I've been enamored of, and enthralled by, this shining beacon of writer's hope known as The Intern, nee-the real actual hilary, since stumbling upon her blog some years ago. And who knows, if my world view and belief system is somehow proven completely and inexorably wrong following my just demise, perhaps Lao Tzu can put in a good word for me in the reincarnation lottery and I can return as a 17ish (eventually) year old female who will understand Wild Awake.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh, the combination of cover and blurb makes my insides feel funny in a good way. I suspect this book may talk directly to my heart. Hilary and Lao Tzu, bestow your enlightenment upon me :)

    ReplyDelete