Thursday, March 14, 2013

march, march, vegetable starch...


Why hello! I am poking my head out of the drafting hole with a casual update that has mysteriously taken me three hours to write. Some things:

In where-the-heck-are-you news...

Thanks to a tremendous stroke of good luck, Techie Boyfriend and I spent a month living here:


If you said, "My, that looks like a rustic stone bunker in the south of Portugal," you would be correct. It belongs to an artist/time traveler/healer lady who opens her doors to travelers, writers, and other lost souls. Someday, when I come into a rustic stone bunker of my own, I will need to find some busted-up writers to shelter, to pay it all forward. "Don't worry! Eat these flowers. You're no different from the bees..."

Now, we are in Lisbon, and most days I go to this place to scribble on Novel 2:


This café has such a hypnotic flow of people coming in and out, espresso cups rattling, waiters in green aprons ferrying spectacularly stale croissants to and fro...and best of all, everyone shares tables, which means you can snag all the half-eaten sandwiches and pastries people leave behind. Sometimes, total strangers talk to you at length in Portuguese or Spanish, but mostly all they are doing is asking if you are writing your autobiography (um, no...) and also whether you would like some hot chocolate.

In WILD AWAKE news...

Due to reasons of not having a mailing address, I have not personally beheld an ARC of WILD AWAKE. But these people have! (also, various farm animals). I will be doing an ARC giveaway as soon as I am back in the US.


There are a few things I'm not quite ready to share yet in terms of behind-the-scenes rumblings surrounding WILD AWAKE, suffice to say that so many good things have already happened that the book's actual publication feels like an embarrassment of riches—"wait, THAT's still happening TOO?"

For now, I am up to my ears in the writing of Novel 2, the writing process for which has been about as different from the writing of WILD AWAKE as is humanly possible. If this novel could force me to write it upside down and backwards, holding the pen between my toes, there is no doubt in my mind that it would.

In what's-your-next-move news...

Techie Boyfriend and I are flying back to the US in two weeks, whereupon we will revert to being vagrant van people, whereupon we will probably do some half-hearted craigslist searching until we give up on finding an actual room, whereupon we will slowly devolve into cave people, whereupon WILD AWAKE will come out, whereupon I will go into bookstores to try and sign stock, whereupon they will ask me to please come back once I've taken a shower.

In short: if you see a rainbow-colored space van parked outside your local bookstore this May with a bespectacled cave person climbing out of it, please know that she is fond of cashews.

That is all.

Portugal. ARC giveaway. Cashews.

More importantly, what have YOU been up to?

13 comments:

  1. All of this is wonderful, wonderful news!

    I just signed a contract with Caryn Wiseman at Andrea Brown Lit Agency, so I'm hopefully starting down the same crazed road you and Techie Boyfriend are on... only without the Portugese Bomb Shelters and the Rainbow Van.

    I still have high hopes of writing a response letter to your fine letter from the train ride at the end of last November. DM me an address!


    -- Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Tom! AND OMG WE NOW SHARE AN AGENCY. Exciting things to come...and I wouldn't be so sure about not ending up in a rainbow van...YOU NEVER KNOW.

      Address to come! (well, not my address, because I don't have one, but a trusted mail keeper...)

      Delete
  2. Your Portuguese adventure seems an alternation of cave and palace. Nice going there, Hillary…
    {BTW- just to bring you back to reality, you still owe me from my glorious win just before you scooted off to Morocco. I’d exchange whatever the prize was (it was a long time ago) for a paper ARC of your book. That, to me, would be golden}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH $^#%#. Just looked through my e-mail...I *DID* do the query critique, but e-mailed it to myself instead of you...it's probably too late now, but have corrected the mistake. I don't have ARCS yet, but we shall see!

      Delete
  3. Already being a cave person, I just write and breath and occasionally sleep. It really is that exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you a cave person for real? (I met some actual cave people in Granada, Spain.) Don't the pages get moldy from the humidity?

      Delete
  4. You live in such interesting places, and I'm jealous that you get to live and write in Lisbon. My passport expired a year ago (I think), and I didn't bother to renew it; I haven't traveled overseas in more than ten years, but I wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel insano lucky to have had the chance...I am not a super-traveler, when it comes right down to it, but this trip has made me very curious about world history. In short, now I am eager to go home and read!

      Nice to hear from you as always :)

      Delete
  5. Nice to hear from you. I love the looks of that bunker. What an amazing experience you've had. Be prepared for serious culture shock upon your return to the US. I've been editing and preparing a query letter and (gasp!) actually sent our a first round so now the rejections will start to pour in and this busted up writer will need a rustic stone bunker! I would love an ARC of WILD AWAKE. Keep us posted please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If by culture shock, you mean DELICIOUS MEXICAN FOOD, I am sooooo prepared :) Congratulations on the querying! That's such an exciting step! You can retreat to my bunker any time...

      Delete
  6. Sintra! You've been to the alchemist's estate outside Sintra, right? Damn, I love Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet! Sintra tomorrow! Portuguese people keep telling me it is "the most mysitc place in Portugal"...preparing to be mystified...

      Delete
  7. Hi :), I just finished reading an ARC of Wild Awake and absolutely adored it. Such a breath of fresh air in the YA market. If you find yourself in the southeastern US during your love bus tour, stop by our little indie bookshop in Athens, GA. There's a co-op next door that sells cashew cheese sandwiches, and I'm buying.

    Namaste!
    - Frankie

    ReplyDelete