when you visit your publisher: an illustrated guide
As mentioned in Monday's ARC giveaway post, I just came back from a trip to NYC to meet with my editor, Molly O'Neill, and about a thousand other fine people at HarperCollins for the first time.
I had no idea what to expect from this visit. I fretted over it a little. If you are waiting on a publisher trip, perhaps you are fretting too. Fret no more! It turns out, visiting your publisher for the first time is more wonderful than you can possibly imagine. It is literally the stuff of fantasies. I am happy to report that all the glamorous things you were dreaming about are pretty much true.
1. You will meet your editor for the first time, and she will be valiant and wise.
2. You and your editor will go for lunch in a swanky restaurant, at which you will be so nervous and excited you can hardly eat your fancy salad.
3. Back at the publisher, you will be ushered to a big room that they have decorated with flowers (!) the same colors as your book (!!!)
4. ...and trays and trays of impossibly fancy cupcakes (!!!!) in intimidating flavors that are nevertheless absolutely delicious.
5. People will flood into this room, introducing themselves and chatting with you. Some of them will want you to sign books for them. You have never signed a book before, and it is THRILLING.
6. It will occur to you that all the people who are coming to talk to you are incredibly attractive and stylish. They are practically out of a magazine! You want to stare at them and possibly steal their clothes.
7. You will have fun conversations with these incredibly stylish people, and more people will come in and out saying hello.
8. Your editor will escort you to meeting with various Important People.
9. You will be permitted to raid the book shelves. You will take the verb "raid" literally. You will walk out looking like this:
10. You will hurry to catch a plane back to wherever you came from, feeling like the luckiest author on earth.
In other news, you will all be relieved to hear that I have acquired underwear of my own and am no longer wearing Hippie Roommate's. Also, there is still time to enter the ARC giveaway!
You all look so glamorous today!